The Two Marks coin, abbreviated 2 DM and known in English as 2 German Marks, was a relatively large circulating denomination of the Deutsche Mark (German mark), which was the official currency of West Germany from 1948 until 1990 and later of unified Germany from 1990 until 2002. The coinage was first issued under Allied occupation after World War II, by the "Bank deutscher Länder" (Bank of the German States) from 1950, then by the Deutsche Bundesbank (German Federal Bank) since 1957.
This type is called "2 Deutsche Mark I. Ausgabe" ("first issue") in German by the Deutsche Bundesbank and was a one-year type; it was struck by four different mints:
- Munich Mint - mint mark D
- Stuttgart Mint - mint mark F
- Karlsruhe Mint - mint mark G
- Hamburg Mint - mint mark J
The design and size of the coin were very similar to the 1 DM coin, which caused frequent confusion. Consequently, this type of 2 Marks was never issued again and was replaced by a new design featuring the portrait of Max Planck on the obverse.
Later designs were:
- 2 Marks with the portrait of Max Planck, issued from 1957 to 1971 and demonetised in 1973
- 2 Marks with the portrait of Konrad Adenauer, issued from 1969 to 1987
- 2 Marks with the portrait of Theodor Heuss, issued from 1970 to 1987
- 2 Marks with the portrait of Kurt Schumacher, issued from 1979 to 1993
- 2 Marks with the portrait of Ludwig Erhard, issued from 1988 to 2001
- 2 Marks with the portrait of Franz Josef Strauß (Strauss), issued from 1990 to 2001
- 2 Marks with the portrait of Willy Brandt, issued from 1994 to 2001
The 1951 coins are made of copper-nickel, with composition Cu (copper) 75%, Ni (nickel) 25% and are slightly smaller in diameter than the coins issued from 1969. The edge inscription, which remained the same throughout the history of the denomination, reads Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit, meaning "Unity and Justice and Freedom".
2 Mark coins with the German Federal Eagle were demonetised on 1st July 1958, after seven years in circulation.