|Coin||Gold Quarter Ounce 2019 Australian Kangaroo|
The Australian quarter ounce gold piece (abbreviated as 1/4 oz and designated with Au for "gold") is a bullion coin format. Uniquely, in Australia there are two mints independently authorised to strike legal tender: the Royal Australian Mint (which also makes the country's circulating coinage) and the Perth Mint which only makes collector and bullion coins, as well as other bullion products.
The Australian Koala series by the Perth Mint comes in several sizes and compositions. The reverse design changes every year, always featuring a koala - one of the most famous and distinctive animals native to Australia.
This coin is part of the long-running Australian Kangaroo bullion coin series by the Perth Mint, and is a "numismatic" issue with a one-year design. It was issued in bullion grade, as well as in proof.
The Mint says about it:
Featuring a charming design of an kangaroo in a stylised Australian outback setting, the 2019 1/4oz gold proof Australian Kangaroo is a superb tribute to the country’s most famous native animal. 2019 Kangaroo Design The coin’s reverse depicts a crouching kangaroo framed by stylised trees in a rural landscape, under the Australian sun.
||Mint Mark||Letter P
The obverse of the coin depicts the crowned old head of Queen Elizabeth II facing right, wearing the Royal Diamond Diadem crown and the Victoria Coronation necklace worn for her Coronation. This is her effigy known as the "Fifth Portrait" worldwide and "Sixth Portrait" in Australia, in "uncouped" version - showing the Queen's shoulders and not terminating at the neck as the normal version.
On the left, in small letters on the Queen's shoulder, the artist's initials J.C (for Jody Clark).
Running continuously around the rim is the monarch's legend and the face value: ELIZABETH II AUSTRALIA · 25 DOLLARS ·.
The coin’s reverse depicts an adult kangaroo crouching in front of a rural landscape, framed by stylised trees under the Australian sun.
The Perth Mint’s P mint mark is just above the ground below left. On the ground below right, the designer's initials AH, for Aleysha Howarth.
Around above, the name of the coin series: AUSTRALIAN KANGAROO. Around below, the date of issue and the precious metal content: 2019 1/4oz 9999 GOLD (one quarter of a troy ounce of 99.99% gold).
||AUSTRALIAN KANGAROO 2019 1/4oz 9999 GOLD
Gold content (Troy oz): 0.250
Finish: bullion (Brilliant Uncirculated)
Packaging: in coin capsule
Perth Mint Product Code: 19014FAAX
This Coin includes an authentication feature on the reverse in the form of a micro-laser engraved letter. Contained within the coin’s inscription "AUSTRALIAN KANGAROO", this letter is only detectable under a magnifying glass. The authentication feature is designed to make it significantly more difficult for the coin to be counterfeited.
Coins in the Australian Kangaroo 2019 series by the Perth Mint include:
- 1 oz Platinum Bullion, Australian Kangaroo 2019
- 1 kg Gold Bullion, Australian Kangaroo 2019
- 2 oz Gold High Relief, Australian Kangaroo 2019
- 1 oz Gold Proof High Relief, Australian Kangaroo 2019
- 1 oz Gold (Bullion and Proof), Australian Kangaroo 2019
- 1/2 oz Gold (Bullion and Proof), Australian Kangaroo 2019
- 1/4 oz Gold (Bullion and Proof), Australian Kangaroo 2019
- 1/10 oz Gold (Bullion and Proof), Australian Kangaroo 2019
- 1/20 oz Gold Proof, Australian Kangaroo 2019
- 0.5 g Gold Proof, Australian Kangaroo 2019
- 2 kg Silver Antique, Australian Kangaroo 2019
- 5 oz Silver High Relief, Australian Kangaroo 2019
- 1 oz Silver High Relief, Australian Kangaroo 2019
- 1 oz Silver Proof Gilded, Australian Kangaroo 2019
- 1 oz Silver Bullion, Australian Kangaroo 2019