|Coin||Gold Quarter Ounce 2022 Britannia, Proof|
Like many other mints, the Royal Mint issues bullion coins in precious metals, having much higher intrinsic value than their face value. The quarter ounce (1/4 oz) gold coins are denominated as Twenty-five Pounds (£25).
The coins are legal tender but are not intended for circulation. They are targeted at bullion investors or collectors who appreciate the special editions as pieces of art. The coins are typically "one-year" types usually issued in parallel with other denominations with the same reverse designs.
Britannia as a symbol - the female personification of Great Britain - has been depicted on British coinage for centuries. The bullion series called Britannia has been issued in gold since 1987 and in silver since 1997; it has a "definitive" depiction - used on bullion coins (Brilliant Uncirculated grade), as well as “Britannia, the Changing Face of Britain” - a series of one-year design used on proofs made for collectors, such as this one.
The Mint says about it:
"Portrayed in a vibrant new design for 2022, Britannia - the noble female warrior who appeared on Roman coins almost 2,000 years ago - continues to inspire a nation.
Since first appearing on coins during Roman times, Britannia has endured as a symbol of strength, hope and progress. Chronicling pivotal moments in the story of a nation, leading engravers of each age have reinterpreted the icon on both coins and medals. In 2022, our young product designer Dan Thorne has created a bold and vibrant icon that celebrates past achievements, whilst looking to the future. His design echoes George William De Saulles’ Britannia, which appeared on the reverse of the florin from 1902 and shows Britannia turning slightly over her shoulder, whilst confidently facing forward. Using innovative digital design methods, Dan has brought a modern and exciting feel to this flagship coin range, appealing to experienced investors and collectors alike."
The obverse of the coin depicts the crowned old head of Queen Elizabeth II facing right, wearing the Royal Diamond Diadem crown worn for her Coronation (her effigy known as the "Fifth Portrait").
In small letters below the head, the artist's initials J.C (for Jody Clark).
Running continuously around the effigy is the monarch's legend: ELIZABETH II · D · G · REG · F · D · 25 POUNDS ·. Translated from Latin: Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God, Queen, Defender of the Faith, followed by the value and denomination in English.
The reverse shows, within a dotted central circle, the standing figure of Britannia, the female personification of Great Britain, looking quarter left. She wears a crested Corinthian helmet, pushed back to reveal her face. In her right hand she holds a trident; in her left hand is a shield with the roaring face of a lion on it.
In the background, waves and the Union Jack (the flag of the United Kingdom).
Around above, the inscription · BRITANNIA ·; around below, the date of issue · 2022 ·.
Around left and right, the precious metal content: 1/4oz 999.9 FINE GOLD (one quarter of a troy ounce of 99.99% gold). The face value is on the obverse.
The artist's initials DT (for Dan Thorne) are below left in the central circle.
Finish: Proof FDC.
Packaging: in mahogany presentation box, with a numbered Certificate of Authenticity.
Royal Mint Product Code: BR22QOZG.
Limited Edition 775.
Date of issue: 8 March 2022.
Issue price: £670.00.
Also in sets.
Coins from the Britannia 2022 series (different designs for Bullion, Proof and Womanhood series):
- 1 oz Platinum Bullion, Britannia 2022
- 1/4 oz Platinum Proof, Britannia 2022
- 1/10 oz Platinum Bullion, Britannia 2022
- 5 oz Gold Proof, Britannia 2022
- 2 oz Gold Proof, Britannia 2022
- 2 oz Gold Proof, Britannia - Womanhood, 2022
- 1 oz Gold Bullion, Britannia 2022
- 1 oz Gold Proof, Britannia 2022
- 1/2 oz Gold Bullion, Britannia 2022
- 1/2 oz Gold Proof, Britannia 2022
- 1/4 oz Gold Bullion, Britannia 2022
- 1/4 oz Gold Proof, Britannia 2022
- 1/10 oz Gold Bullion, Britannia 2022
- 1/10 oz Gold Proof, Britannia 2022
- 1/20 oz Gold Proof, Britannia 2022
- 1/40 oz Gold Proof, Britannia 2022
- 2 kg Silver Proof, Britannia 2022
- 1 kg Silver Proof, Britannia - Womanhood, 2022
- 5 oz Silver Proof, Britannia 2022
- 2 oz Silver Proof, Britannia 2022
- 2 oz Silver Proof, Britannia - Womanhood, 2022
- 1 oz Silver Bullion, Britannia 2022
- 1 oz Silver Proof, Britannia 2022
- 1 oz Silver BU, Britannia - Womanhood, 2022
- 1/2 oz Silver Proof, Britannia 2022
- 1/4 oz Silver Proof, Britannia 2022
- 1/10 oz Silver Proof, Britannia 2022
- 1/20 oz Silver Proof, Britannia 2022
- 1/40 oz Silver Proof, Britannia 2022