George Kruger Gray was a designer, painter and medalist. He was born George Edward Kruger, and graduated from the Royal College of Art. After his marriage in 1918 he adopted his wife's surname.
Gray was a leading designer for the Royal Mint. He mostly designed coin reverses which he signed "KG" or "G".
He designed the following:
Australia (all reverse) 1939-1964 1/2 penny, 1938-1964 penny (reused on the 5 cents commemorative issue in 2016), 1938-1964 threepence (reused on the 10 cents commemorative issue in 2016), 1938-1963 shilling (reused on the 50 cents commemorative issue in 1991 and the 50 cents commemorative issue in 2016), 1927 commemorative florin, 1934-35 commemorative florin, florins: 1938-47, 51-54, 56-63 (reused on the one dollar commemorative issue in 2016), and 1937 and 1938 crown (reused on the two dollars commemorative issue in 2016).
For Bermuda designed reverse 1964 crown.
For Canada designed reverse 1937 to present penny and nickel, 1937-1958 50 cents.
For Cyprus designed reverse 1938-1940 9 and 18 piastres, 1928 45 piastres, 1947-1949 florin.
For Great Britain designed 1927-1945 threepence, 1927-1952 sixpence, half crown, 1937-1951 shilling and florin, 1927-1936 crown (except for the 1935 Jubilee crown), 1937 crown.
For Mauritius designed 1 cent, 2 cents, 5 cents, 1/4 and 1/2 rupee 1942-1978 10 cents 1947-1978.
For New Guinea designed 1929-1945 penny, threepence, sixpence, and shilling.
For New Zealand designed threepence, sixpence, shilling, florin, and half crown reverse 1933-1965.
For South Africa designed reverse farthing, half penny, penny, 3 pence, 6 pence, shilling, florin, and half crown 1923-1960, reverse 1960 crown. Reverse 1961-1941 half, two and half, five, ten, and twenty cents.
In 1929 Gray also designed a Coat of Arms for Western Australia. He modeled The British (Imperial) George Medal (established 1940) after a bookplate by Stephen Gooden for the Royal Library, Windsor. His other work included the stained glass windows in the Manchester Town Hall, England, and carved and painted screens behind the altars in the chancel and south chapel in St Mary's church in Princes Risborough, England.