|Coin||Twenty Cents 2023 AC/DC - Flick of the Switch|
The Australian 20 cent coin was first introduced with decimalisation on 14 February 1966 when it replaced the pre-decimal Australian florin, to which it is equal in size and mass. The original reverse design by Stuart Devlin has not been changed since its introduction.
The denomination is occasionally used by both the Royal Australian Mint and the Perth Mint to issue collector coins, which are legal tender in Australia - such as this one.
This non-circulating collector issue 20 cents coin was issued as part of the coin series celebrating 50 years of world-famous Australian rock group AC/DC, and commemorates the 40th anniversary of their album "Flick of the Switch".
AC/DC are an Australian rock band formed in Sydney in 1973 by Scottish-born brothers Malcolm and Angus Young. Although their music has been variously described as hard rock, blues rock, and heavy metal, the band themselves call it simply "rock and roll". The band's line-up varied throughout the years; it did not disband though, and issued its latest album in 2020, 47 years after it was founded.
Flick of the Switch is the ninth studio album of the band; it was deemed a commercial disappointment after it failed to match the sales figures of the band's two previous releases, 1980's Back in Black and 1981's For Those About to Rock, and its release represented the beginning of the band's commercial decline. Despite this, opinions of Flick of the Switch have been quite positive in the years since its release, and the album has often been mentioned as one of the best releases of 1983. The third AC/DC album to feature lead vocalist Brian Johnson, the album is also the last to feature drummer Phil Rudd before his return on Ballbreaker (1995). The album was re-released in 2003 as part of the AC/DC Remasters series.
The obverse of the coin depicts the crowned old bust of Queen Elizabeth II facing right, wearing the Royal Diamond Diadem crown worn for her Coronation (effigy known as the "Fifth Portrait" worldwide but "Sixth Portrait" in Australia, where the Queen's portrait by Vladimir Gottwald was fifth).
The Queen also wears the Coronation Necklace; originally made for Queen Victoria in 1858, it was also worn at the coronations (as Queen's Consort) of Queen Alexandra in 1902, Queen Mary in 1911 and Queen Elizabeth (the Queen mother) in 1937.
Unlike on British coinage, the effigy is "uncouped" (includes the Queen's shoulders). In small letters on the left, the artist's initials JC (for Jody Clark).
Running continuously around the rim is the monarch's legend, the date of issue and the face value: ELIZABETH II · AUSTRALIA 2023 · 20 CENTS ·.
The reverse shows artwork from the Flick of the Switch album.
Surrounding the centre, a black ring printed over fine, concentric circles representing the grooves on a vinyl record. Inscribed on that, around above: 40th ANNIVERSARY OF FLICK OF THE SWITCH ALBUM.
The face value and denomination are on the obverse.
||40th ANNIVERSARY OF FLICK OF THE SWITCH ALBUM
Packaging: in capsule representing a vinyl record, in packaging which resembles a vinyl record cover - the image on which matches the design of the coin.
RAM Product Code: 10878
Date of issue: 6 October 2022.
Issue price: AU$ 15.00
Owing to the unfortunate tendency of some mints - the Royal Australian Mint included - to issue future-dated coins, this coin is not exactly an error coin (considering that it was released like this intentionally) but is not right either. It is dated 2023, but features the effigy of Queen Elizabeth II who died in September 2022; the coin should have carried the portrait of King Charles III instead.
Coins featuring AC/DC have been issued for different countries (ordered by year / metal / size):
- 2 oz Silver Coloured, AC/DC - Black Ice, Cook Islands 2018
- $5 (22 g) Silver Triangle Black Coloured Proof, AC/DC, Australia 2018
- 1/2 oz Silver Coloured, AC/DC - High Voltage, Cook Islands 2018
- 1/2 oz Silver Coloured, AC/DC - Highway to Hell, Cook Islands 2018
- 50 Cents Copper-Nickel Coloured, AC/DC, Australia 2018
- 0.1 g Gold Coloured Coin Note, AC/DC - Angus Buck, Cook Islands 2019
- 2 oz Silver Coloured, AC/DC - The Razors Edge, Cook Islands 2019
- 1/2 oz Silver Coloured, AC/DC - For Those About to Rock, Cook Islands 2019
- 1/4 oz Silver Antique Guitar Shape, AC/DC, Cook Islands 2019
- 20 Cents Copper-Nickel Coloured, AC/DC - High Voltage, Australia 2020
- 20 Cents Copper-Nickel Coloured, AC/DC - T.N.T., Australia 2020
- 20 Cents Copper-Nickel Coloured, AC/DC - Back in Black, Australia 2020
- 20 Cents Copper-Nickel Coloured, AC/DC - Ballbreaker, Australia 2020
- 20 Cents Copper-Nickel Coloured, AC/DC Logo, Australia 2021
- 1 oz Silver Frosted Uncirculated, AC/DC, Australia 2021
- 20 Cents Copper-Nickel Coloured, AC/DC - Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap, Australia 2021
- 20 Cents Copper-Nickel Coloured, AC/DC - For Those About to Rock, Australia 2021
- 20 Cents Copper-Nickel Coloured, AC/DC - Let There Be Rock, Australia 2022
- 1 oz Silver, AC/DC, Australia 2023
- 20 Cents Copper-Nickel Coloured, AC/DC Logo, Australia 2023
- 20 Cents Copper-Nickel Coloured, AC/DC - Powerage, Australia 2023
- 20 Cents Copper-Nickel Coloured, AC/DC - Flick of the Switch, Australia 2023
- 20 Cents Copper-Nickel Coloured, AC/DC - Blow Up Your Video, Australia 2023
- 20 Cents Copper-Nickel Coloured, AC/DC - Black Ice, Australia 2023