|Coin||Silver Three Ounces 2023 Lord of the Rings - Mordor|
Niue, a sovereign state in free association with New Zealand, uses two official legal tender currencies. The New Zealand Dollar is the circulation currency for daily transactions, while the government also authorises legal tender coins in the Niue Dollar currency for collector's purposes.
A number of mints issue a large variety of commemorative, bullion and collector coins under the authority of Niue. These coins are dedicated to historical or general popular culture themes not related to Niue itself. Many of them are in standard bullion sizes, or are based on the troy ounce - for example, three ounces of silver (abbreviated as 3 oz Ag, where "Ag" comes from the Latin word for silver, Argentum).
This coin is part of a New Zealand Mint series dedicated to characters and themes from The Lord of the Rings books and films, and features Mordor.
The mint says about it:
Made of 3oz pure silver, with an impressive 55mm diameter, this coin displays an expansive view of the mighty Black Gate and Tower of the Teeth landscape in Mordor, from The Lord of the Rings. It is fully engraved with an antique finish and added relief further enhances the detailed design. The Public Seal of Niue is included on the obverse, confirming the coin as legal tender.
Created in partnership with Warner Bros. Consumer Products, each coin is held in an acrylic capsule for protection and presented in a high-quality, themed box. Turn to the back for a Certificate of Authenticity and the coin’s unique number in the limited mintage of 1,000.
The obverse of the coin features the (unofficial) "Public Seal of Niue". It has what looks like a plant arrangement at centre, within a double ornamental circle, itself surrounded by a circle of sea shells. This is crowned with St Edward's Crown (a symbol of the United Kingdom, the monarch of which is ultimately the Head of State of Niue).
Around above between the two, the inscription PUBLIC SEAL OF NIUE. Below that, a ribbon carries the motto ATUA NIUE TUKULAGI on two lines, below which two crossed katoua (Niue fighting clubs).
Around above, the face value TEN DOLLARS. Around below, the date of issue 2023.
The reverse of the coin features a view of the Black Gate and the Tower of the Teeth in Mordor, as described in The Lord of the Rings.
Around above, the copyright acknowledgement © & TM New Line Production Inc. (s23) followed by the precious metal content: 3 oz 999 Fine Silver (three troy ounces of 99.9% silver).
||© & TM New Line Production Inc. (s23) 3 oz 999 Fine Silver
Packaging: in themed display box, with a numbered Certificate of Authenticity.
Date of issue: 17 February 2023.
Issue price: US$ 299.00.
Coins in the Lord of the Rings Classic series issued for Niue include:
- 1/4 oz Gold, Sauron, 2021
- 1 oz Silver Gold Plated, Sauron, 2021
- 1/4 oz Gold, Gandalf, 2021
- 1 oz Silver Coloured, Gandalf, 2021
- 1/4 oz Gold, Frodo Baggins, 2021
- 1 oz Silver Coloured, Frodo Baggins, 2021
- 1/4 oz Gold, Aragorn, 2021
- 1 oz Silver Coloured, Aragorn, 2021
- 1/4 oz Gold, Legolas, 2021
- 1 oz Silver Coloured, Legolas, 2021
- 1/4 oz Gold, Samwise Gamgee, 2021
- 1 oz Silver Coloured, Samwise Gamgee, 2021
- 1/4 oz Gold, Gimli, 2022
- 1 oz Silver Coloured, Gimli, 2022
- 1/4 Gold, Gollum, 2022
- 1 oz Silver Coloured, Gollum, 2022
- 1/4 Gold, The Shire, 2022
- 3 oz Silver Antique, The Shire, 2022
- 1 oz Silver Antique, The Shire, 2022
- 1/4 Gold, Rivendell, 2022
- 3 oz Silver Antique, Rivendell, 2022
- 1 oz Silver Antique, Rivendell, 2022
- 1/4 Gold, Helm's Deep, 2022
- 3 oz Silver Antique, Helm's Deep, 2022
- 1 oz Silver Antique, Helm's Deep, 2022
- 1/4 Gold, Mount Doom, 2022
- 3 oz Silver Antique, Mount Doom, 2022
- 1 oz Silver Antique, Mount Doom, 2022
- 1/4 Gold, Mordor, 2023
- 3 oz Silver Antique, Mordor, 2023
- 1 oz Silver Antique, Mordor, 2023
Coins with a Lord of the Rings theme issued for Niue in 2023:
- 1/4 oz Gold, Mordor
- 3 oz Silver Antique, Mordor
- 1 oz Silver Antique, Mordor
- 1 oz Silver Coloured Rectangle (Poster), The Hobbit